The stuffing mixes we tested are good(see right),but a little customization can make them better.Start with one of the Pepperidge Farm winners as your base,follow the directions on the package,then pick from the three options here.
CORN,BLACK BEANS,AND CHILIES
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels,thawed.
- 2 tablespoons chipotle chillies,chopped
- 3/4 cup canned black beans,drained and rinsed
Combine corn and chillies with celery and onions called for in the package recipe.Add stuffing mix,broth,and beans.Heat through and serve.
- 1 tablespoon extravirgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups diced mushrooms
- 1/2 cup toasted pecans
- 1 tablespoon finely chooped chives
- 1 large egg
Using 1 tablespoon of olive oil(instead of the butter called for in the package recipe) saute mushrooms with celery and onions.Add stuffing mix and broth.When liquid is absorbed,add pecans,chives,and egg,and toss.Place mixture in a buttered 8×8-inch dish;bake 30 minutes at 400 F .
- 1 sweet potato,peeled,diced,and roasted
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 2 teaspoons crystallized ginger,finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon oragne zest
(For this recipe,use 1/2 cup broth instead of the 1 1/2 cups called for in the package recipe.) Combine roasted potatoes,sauteed celery,and onions.Heat through.Add stuffing mix,broth,and orange Juice.Mix well,Reduce heat and add crystallized ginger and orange zest Heat through and serve.